Friday 16 August 2019

V. I. Muniswamy Pillai On The National Flag And Buddha In The Constituent Assembly of India.

Ambedkar and V. I. Muniswamy Pillai at Nagpur, 1932.


V. I. Muniswamy Pillai was one of the earliest national level leaders of the Scheduled Classes Movement in India.

Here is the excerpt from the speech of V. I. Muniswamy Pillai in the Constituent Assembly of India on 22nd July 1947 for the adoption of the National Flag.

V. I. Muniswamy Pillai (Madras: General):
"It is not to be the Flag of the rich or the wealthy but it is to be the
Flag of the depressed, oppressed and submerged classes all over our country. Sir, I particularly welcome the introduction of the wheel in the centre. I also welcome the introduction of the Sarnath Lion Capital of Asoka. Asoka, coming as he did after the great Buddhist order, has given us the great Panchaseelam, above all, sympathy for humanity.

The Scheduled Classes feel that the constitution which is on the anvil of this supreme body is going to bring solace to the millions of the submerged classes. The principle of Buddha who exhibited practically his great sympathy for suffering human beings, I am sure, Sir, will be practically carried out after accepting this great Flag."


Photo: This photo was taken with 'Samata Sainik Dal' members and the leaders of the 'All India DC Congress' (2nd Conference). Under the Presidentship of V. I. Munusamy Pillai (from Tamil Nadu) this conference was held on May 8th, 1932 at Nagpur. Thatha Rettamalai Srinivasan, Thanthai N. Sivaraj and Babu Mangu Ram were also attended.

Compiled:
Ambeth,
Dharmapuri,
Tamil Nadu.

Reference:
* Constituent Assembly Debates, 22nd July 1947, Page 744-45.


No comments:

Post a Comment