Saturday 26 January 2019

One of The Stalwarts V. I. Muniswamy Pillai On Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar In The Constituent Assembly of India.

Dr. Ambedkar, V. I. Munuswamy Pillai and Rettamalai Srinivasan.



V. I. Muniswamy Pillai was one of the earliest national level leaders of the Scheduled Classes Movement in India.

Here is the excerpt from the speech of V. I. Muniswamy Pillay  eulogising the services of the Drafting Committee. (November, 1949)

V. I. Muniswamy Pillai (Madras : General): Mr. President, Sir, I stand before this August Assembly to support the motion moved by my Honourable Friend, Dr. Ambedkar. Sir, I proceed now to appreciate the great services that have been rendered by the Drafting Committee whose services are so valuable to us; they have not spared days and nights in coming to decisions on important articles. I must say a word of praise to the calibre and capacity of the Chairman of the Drafting Committee—Dr. B. R. Ambedkar. Coming as I do from a community that has produced Dr. Ambedkar, I feel proud that his capacity has now been recognized, not only by the Scheduled Castes but by all communities that inhabit India. The Scheduled Castes have produced a great Nandanar, a Tirupazanalwar, and above all a Tiruvalluvar, the great philospher whose name and fame is not only known throughout the length and breadth of India but of the whole world. To that galaxy of great men of Scheduled Castes now we have to add Dr. Ambedkar, who, as a man has been able to show to the world that the Scheduled Castes are no less important but they can rise to heights and give to the world their great services. I know, Sir, that he has served the community of the Scheduled Castes and also of India by his great service and sacrifice in preparing a Constitution which will be the order of the day from the 26th of January 1950 and I also feel. Sir, of the Chief Draftsman and of the staff that have worked in preparing the Constitution cannot be littled; they equally receive our praise.

Photo: This Photo was taken with Samata Sainik Dal members and the leaders of the 'All India Depressed Classes Congress' (2nd Conference). Under the Presidentship of V. I. Munusamy Pillai (from Tamil Nadu) this Conference was held on May 8th, 1932 at Nagpur. Thanthai N. Sivaraj and Babu Mangu Ram were also attended.

Compiled:
Ambeth,
Dharmapuri,
Tamil Nadu.

Reference:
* 'Third Reading of the Draft Constitution',  Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar writings and speeches, English Volume 13.


Jai bheem...!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment